Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day

This year our 4th of July celebration was a little different. Lenn was working and so it was up to me to pull something off. I decided I would try to get to the Woodruff parade (yes, I have lost my mind). I figured I was setting myself up for failure, but I was determined to try. I have always had the intention of not letting Bentley and Abby feel as though they missed out because they have a special brother. So..my father-in-law said he would help me load and unload Owen.
I got up early Saturday morning, (after not really sleeping, wondering how I would pull this off), and got everything ready. We were even ready 30 minutes early!! Major WOW around here! We headed out the door to wait for my father-in-law and Bentley says 'let's you and me try'. I say okay and to our surprise we got him in, not near as smooth as Lenn would. Sorry Owen. Then my father-in-law comes up and he is still in his work clothes. I figured Grandma and Grandpa would go too. I asked him and he said no they weren't going. So we got in and off we went. We weren't too far from the house when I was ready to turn around and go back home. What was I thinking going off alone??? I didn't turn around and we made it to the parade even early enough to have a perfect parking spot.
Owen seems to have the perfect spot out of the sun. Only in a small town parade would you get this one!!
I was taken back a bit though by our parade neighbors, as the horses with the American flag approached, not one of them got up to salute or show any kind of respect for the flag. The more I think about it the more upset I get that I did not say something to them. Some people!
Anyway the kids loved the parade. Bentley and Abby love anything that has to do with candy being thrown at them.
For our fireworks display, well lets just say we REALLY missed Lenn on this one. He loves fireworks and putting on a show. All you wives that complain about the hunting budget, well ours is the firework budget. But he loves it and we love watching.
Bentley thinks he is the man of the house when Lenn is gone so he pulled out all the fireworks and he and I lit the fireworks. We mostly did Utah fireworks but we did do a few big ones too.
Owen again had the best seat. I moved the table over by the window and laid him there where he could see all the fireworks without the mosquitoes and wind.
We had to take a break to enjoy the beautiful sunset.
The camera did not do justice to the color and it still looks beautiful.
Grandpa, Abby and Bentley showing Owen their sparklers.

1 comment:

tfthornock said...

Gayle, you are amazing! That had to have been such a major undertaking and obviously a little nerve racking too. What a wonderful mom you are! I was just thinking the other day about how helpful kids start to get as they get a little older...Blake seriously is my right hand man! I don't know what I'd do without him. Way to go Bentley!