Sunday, August 2, 2009

OH, What a week!

Monday: Gayle schedules Owen for ear tubes and remove his adenoids surgery for the 19 of August.

Tuesday: Gayle calls and tells me that she is having problems suctioning Owen and not to leave the vicinity. I went home to see what was going on, and the joy begun. It was like someone hit the code button in our living room ER. The ventilator started giving us issues, the circuits were giving us issues, the trachs were giving us issues, and my anxiety was giving us issues. After changing the vents four times, the circuits three times, and two trach changes we called Primarys' for backup. Between a few changes I hooked Owen up to see if he would vent and it almost seems like he was telling us that it still wasn't right. I hurried and hooked him up to the bag when his sats went under 50. I was bagging, bawling, and telling Gayle that I was not going to get him back. I looked and his sats were in the teens. Gayle came over, grabbed his foot, and moved the sensor slightly and it jumped back up to 50 and started climbing. That has always been a fear as a EMT not being able to revive someone. After Chris at Primarys' said that we had done everything she would have done and to start towards Salt Lake, Gayle and the kids dropped to their knees. After a wonderful prayer asking the Lord for guidance with Owen, Gayle thought of one more trach that isn't like the others. We put that trach in and off and running Owen went! After the whole ordeal, we figured that Bentley and I had bagged Owen for over an hour. And it was a wonderful opportunity to find out Evanston really isn't prepared for an emergency with a kid like Owen and we have some work to do. Mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted we conquered that day.

Wednesday: We waited most of the day to find out when we could have Owens trachea scoped. Between Chris and us, we figured there might be a blockage in his airway as to why we had the Tuesday we had. We also hoped that while Owen was under they could do the tubes and adenoids.

Thursday: 12:15 at Primarys' preparing for surgery, Owen finally goes in at 2:20. We called Dr. Chan to come and see us. 3:00 along with Dr Chan we sat in the waiting room for Owen to come out of surgery. We talked to the surgeon, Dr Grimmer, who is the best, and he said that Owen did great. They called for one parent to go back, Gayle left. Dr Chan looked at me and told me that he wasn't a parent and went back too. Gayle told me this after Owen got to his room. I guess the nurse turned to Dr Chan and told him that only one parent was allowed. Finally turning far enough to see his tag, Dr Chan bluntly told her he was not a parent. The nurse apologized and told him that she needed to get her foot out of her mouth. Dr Chan smiled and said I am a neonatologist. We laughed all night thinking she was going to kick one of the top NICU doctors out of Owens room. We also laughed because there Dr Chan sat with us in the waiting room and listened intently to the surgeons report. They took Owen to a new wing of the hospital for vented children. Which was great because Abby and Bentley could come in and out. He had is own room and nurse for the night.

Friday: We got the discharge orders and left with Owen around 3.

Saturday and Sunday were really uneventful, that is how we like it. Owen is feeling great and doing great. Thanks to all the friends that stopped by. It seems there was someone in his room all the time, we made really great friends and really appreciate the support.

6 comments:

Leslie Garbanati said...

You guys scare me to death...I am so glad Owen is back on top! We still pray for you and think of you often...

Ashlie said...

I don't know how you handle that kind of stress! You guys are incredible. So glad Owen pulled through!

tfthornock said...

Lenn and Gayle, I think my stomach sunk as far down as it could go while reading this post. I can't even imagine experiencing what you guys have this week. Owen has definitely kept you on your toes this week, darn it! It was wonderful to see Owen out at the parade, but I never would have thought that this would have happened just following him looking great. This is firm testimony to me that SOMEONE is watching over this little angel boy and SOMEONE is sustaining his wonderful, inspired parents.

sjanney said...

Lenn and Gayle,

To your point, when you mention that Evanston is not ready for this type of situation, I must tell you that even if they are not, your family is. YOU ARE ALL AMAZING. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you in getting the support and assistance you and Superman aka Owen need out west.

Always keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,
Sam J.

Sandra said...

Just reading your story gave me issues and gave me alot of heartfelt sympathy. I'm glad that he is doing better. I think he is just keeping you skills polished. Just tell him that's enough!! Dustin had sats of "0". It's not a fun time.... Hang in there!!

Cate said...

Seriously, you guys are amazing!