Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Owen's update


I have promised an update to many, I guess today is the day.
We love our little man so much and this update isn't one I have been looking forward to. Owen is a fighter though. I cannot believe how much of a fighter he is with such a weak body. After he was named Owen, we found out that in Irish Owen means young fighter. I think his Daddy picked the perfect name.
In February 2010, Owen started needing prune juice to help his bowels work well. The juice worked great up until the week before Thanksgiving. Since then we have been using a medication and it worked great through the holidays and his birthday, (what a blessing). The last month or so his bowels seem to be slowing a little more, needing more medicine to work properly.
His heart rate and O2 sats have been great thus far. I truly believe we are watched over each and every day. I know Owen is never far from his Heavenly Father and that he feels of His love.
We have been very blessed to have some great doctors in our lives. They are helping us keep him comfortable with the right medications.
I pray for his comfort! He amazes me each and every day. He still smiles and interacts most of the time. When his medicines aren't at the right dose he is sleeping and 'bored'. I told Lenn one day, "Owen hasn't felt real good today". Abby said "Yeah, he has been bored all day." It was so cute that she noticed her little brothers' feelings when he can't say a word.
On those 'bored' days he is docile and doesn't interact a whole lot.
As of right now, I don't think he is in pain (another huge blessing). I think his body is just working overtime on the little things we take for granted.
With that being said I would like to ask you for prayers on Owen's behalf that he might have the comfort needed at this time and that the doctors will continue to be inspired as of what he needs.
My heart breaks knowing he is a bit closer to Heaven but I know his little brother and Father in Heaven will gladly receive him when that day comes. I don't know how long we will have our little Owen, he has surprised us many times. For now, we will continue to cherish each and every day that we are blessed with.

8 comments:

Ashlie said...

My heart aches for you and your family Gayle. We will definitely keep Owen and all of you in our prayers. Hang in there.

klthornock said...

I hope you know how much we love all of you and we do pray for Owen and the rest of you as well. Owen must have an amazing spirit to have been blessed to come to such a loving, kind, patient, generous family as yours!!!! Owens short life has been so full you all do so much for him and he is smothered with love. I know your prayers will be answered and he will be blessed with peace and comfort because of your faithfulness. Stay strong! your family is an example to so many. Love you all

Brian and Rebecca Nate said...

I try to remember your family every night in my prayers. Owen is obviously a fighter, look at how far he has come. What a handsome little devil as well! We send our love.

annie said...

I will gladly add your little guy and your family to my prayers. I hope that you all feel his love for you every day.

Sandra said...

Owen is definately one of our Heavenly Fathers chosen little spirits. He was sent to a special family to take care of his special needs. We love you all and will be praying for your family. Please call if I can help you will anything. You are truly Ownen's angel here on earth!

Candice said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - especially Owen. You are such a strong amazing mom! May you be blessed with the strength needed to make it through the tough times. You have such a sweet family, love reading your blog.

Leslie Garbanati said...

You have no idea how much I love you and your Owen (and the rest of the family...too). We talk so often about your family and Owen, and what a strength you are....all of our love and prayers are with you.

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

Im thinking of you and Owen all the time. I will start praying even more for you all. I pray Owen is comfortable. That was one of my greatest fears with Kenzie. Thinking she might be in pain. Im praying extra hard for Owen. You are the most amazing mother ever!