Friday, September 21, 2012

Aww..feeling much better!!

When Owen gets sick I always worry but do what I can to get him well again.  It isn't until afterwards that I realize how sick my little guy was.  I guess that's a good thing because otherwise I may not have my head where it should be!
The last part of August Owen got sick, I thought he was pretty sick but nothing we hadn't dealt with before.  I figured it was sinus, ears and throat yuck.  I called his angel of a doctor and she called in meds for sinus/ear infection.  The fever went away and he was back to room air.  After 4 or 5 days on the antibiotic I knew something wasn't quite right.  I called his doctor back and she wanted a culture.  Well...if you know us at all we are anti 'go to the doctor or hospital' with Owen for obvious reasons. I made a hundred phone calls (it seemed like 100 anyway) and figured out how to get a good sample from his trach and sent Lenn to Evanston to take it to the lab.  We were supposed to hear back in 48 hours, I sat around all day waiting for the call and nothing!!  I was a bit on edge because I knew he needed something else and the weekend was coming.  The next morning I got a call from his doctor.  I knew it wasn't something simple when I got a call instead of email.  She said the reason the current antibiotics weren't working was because he had pseudomonas...what??  Pseudomonas is a sickness that effects the weak, old, burn victims and those with trachs and catheters.  I did a little reading on this and it didn't sound very promising but his doctor reassured me that it was common in trached kids and it was okay!  I had to keep re-telling myself that.  From what I read it is very common for these kids to be hospitalized with this sickness.  Thank goodness for yet another blessing of staying home.
This morning as I was bathing Owen and getting him ready for the day, it hit me just how sick he really was.  His secretions are so much less making him much less gooey!
I don't know why or how but this little guy is still supposed to be here with us.  I don't understand it and I probably never will but I know he is in the Lords hands and we still have our little Owen.
I know many prayers are said on our behalf and we appreciate them so much.  Thank you!
Yesterday Owen sat in his recliner longer than he has in a long time and we went to Bentley's football game and we didn't suction him once! YAY!!  When he was at his worst with this we were suctioning him constantly. 
I have mentioned previously that show sheep are now a big thing at our house.  Grandma J saw this stuffed lamb and figured Owen needed a show sheep too!

No comments: