Sunday, January 4, 2009

Owen, his elephant, and his first birthday

Here is the awesome birthday cake for Owen. Gayle is an amazing mother and cook. Owens' first name tag in Primary's had an elephant on it. We kinda giggled to ourselves thinking Owen was an elephant compared to some of the premies at the hospital. So we bought him a stuffed elephant and he has had it with him ever since. We had an amazing party for the special little kid!




Owen has been a really special addition to our family. He and the Lord have brought us more blessings than one can count. One doesn't realize the blessings until you can look back on what has gone on. The best example is losing my job for Owen, I would have still been stuck in that rut getting sick and being miserable. Being unemployed I got to help dad for the summer and get a new job that pays a ton more and something that I think I will enjoy. I keep thinking back to the doctor that told us that "we will not have any more vacations." Who needs a vacation when you can come home and feel heaven under your own roof? I told the doctor that dad, with or without Owen, didn't allow vacations anyway! Even though Owen communicates through his eyes, he has a vibe to him that can make any day the best. I can be having the worst day and walk into the house. I wash up and go rest my head next to his to recharge. I think that is the closest to heaven a person can get. Even on Owens' bad days he always seems to have a smile or two for me.

We watched Emma Smiths' movie today, I thought that I had it bad. There was scene in the movie where she was comforting a child and she told Joesph that God was not going take another one of her children. I lost it! I am having issues about losing one of my kids, she lost six kids and her husband. I reiterate all one has to do is look over your neighbors fence to find out how good one really does have it. I will get off my soap box and leave with this quote I heard off the movie.

All these things shall give thee experience, and be for thy good and thine adversity; and thine afflictions will be but a small moment. And then if thou endure it well God shall exalt thee on high. --Joesph Smith

Happy Birthday Owen!

3 comments:

Anna Linnea said...

Happy Birthday Owen! I can't believe that it has been a year! You guys are such an amazing family. Thank your for your example. And Gayle that is an awesome cake! How did you learn to make a cake like that?

Leslie Garbanati said...

I am late at wishing you HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Owen-but I think you can keep celebrating this treasured one year birthday for a few days! You are truly a blessing to your family and to those around you! We have been blessed and touched so many times by you and your example. It is hard to believe that you are only 20 days older than Mason-what a year for us all! Our truest wish is for another spectacular year for you! We really do love you!
Jake, Leslie, Aleah and Mason

Shelly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN!!
I feel honored to know your family and feel your strength. Thank you for sharing yourselves and Owen.