Saturday, January 3, 2009

What a YEAR

364 days, 23 hours, and about 30 minutes to the minute our lives changed forever. Precious Owen was born. I am recalling the moment that little man joined our lives and it brings tears to my eyes. From the first few minutes of him whimpering and the room filled with his special spirit, tears begin and have flowed ever since. We have been through quite the journey with this little man. Tonight we celebrated a mark in his life that many, many people told us that he would never see. We have been praying this past little while that if it was his time to go, to spare us from the holidays and alas we made it through all the holidays and his birthday. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of his awesome birthday cake and his special day. I am going to leave with a quote I read on Mercydezs' blog that truly applies to us too. Happy Birthday Merceydez, we hope you got your present on time.

How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, “What are we doing with today?” If we live only for tomorrow, we’ll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays. Have we been guilty of declaring, “I’ve been thinking about making some course corrections in my life. I plan to take the first step—tomorrow”? With such thinking, tomorrow is forever. Such tomorrows rarely come unless we do something about them today.

--President Thomas S. Monson

2 comments:

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

Owen! We love you so much! Happy first birthday big guy! You are a miracle! January 3rd was set apart for the strongest, most valiant children! I'm so grateful that we get to be part of your life! I know this comes 7 minutes late (but, technically, I've been thinking about you ALL day), but HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. You have touched my heart. I'm so grateful you have stayed with your family for as long as you have. You and Mercydez must have some type of communication going on... keep giving each other pep-talks, okay?

We love you! Stay healthy! ...and Mercydez sent you a little something. Hopefully you'll get it on Monday.

Observer Of Life said...

That is such a beautiful quote...I've copied it for my "beautiful quote folder"! Have just discovered your blog through Leslie's. You have such a beautiful family... thanks for sharing your stories and experiences.