Tuesday, May 19, 2009

One year ago...lookin' back!

I can't believe today marks the one year anniversary of Owen being sent home from the hospital. One year ago our family was re-united for good, even though it wasn't home at first it was home because we were all there together.

So many things have happened but I must boost a bit (knocking on wood at the same time), we have not been back to the hospital for an inpatient stay. What a relief!

We have a new normal life now, but for the most part we all take it pretty well. Bentley and Abby have been angels, they never complain about not being able to do something or go somewhere because of Owen. They have the deepest, most sincere love for there baby brother and what an example they have been to me.

We seem to surprise many. I don't know what was expected, but people (mostly doctors) can't believe Owen has done so well. Mostly because we live in the middle of nowhere, where ventilators are unheard of. We just love him and do for him what you would do for any child. I have to brag for a minute, in the report we received from our last visit to Primary's it said "Since last seen, his parents have provided meticulous care for Owen.." We have done our best and hope to continue to surprise all the doctors!

I am finally catching up with the slideshow (thanks Tracy)! There are quite a few pictures, but when it came to re-capping a year I had a hard time only using a few.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Lookin' back...one year
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow! What an accomplishment! That slide show made me cry but I guess I do that easy when it comes to special little boys... Owen just goes to show you that Dr's don't know everything. What a special little man. Thanks for sharing that with me. If I can help with anything, please give me a call..

Leslie Garbanati said...

Happy Days!! I am so touched by your slide show...I shouldn't read your blog, or many others before school starts...It ruins my makeup! Just kidding...your family is such an inspiration to us. It is amazing to look at how much Owen has grown and changed in a years time. It is certainly due to the love and support he has from a wonderful family.

tfthornock said...

Well done, Gayle! This little man most definitely holds a special place in my heart! (Yes, I can't watch this slideshow without absolutely melting!) From a medical standpoint, I can't look at this without complete and total amazement! It is AMAZING that you are caring for Owen by yourself. It shows the true love of a parent for their child! You would go to the ends of the earth and back for Owen. I see how much he has changed over the year and am reminded of how pertinent it is for any of us just to be loved! Owen is thriving because of your love! All the medical attention in the world will NEVER be able to compensate for that! Owen is SOOO... adorable and is SOOO... lucky to have such wonderful parents and wonderful siblings! You are truly an inspiration to us all! Happy one year anniversary, Johnson family!!!

Brian and Rebecca Nate said...

What a beautiful little gift from heaven. You are truly a blessed family. Congratulations on your one year!

Shelly said...

I love the pictures. Especially with Abby and Bentley, they both seem very happy to be with their little brother. I can also see the many expressions Owen has! Thanks for the show.