Monday, January 16, 2012

Time for an update

Now that Owen is 4, he is a sunbeam in Primary at church. The sunbeam teacher is a great lady and wants to have Owen involved even though he doesn't go to church. She sends home the lesson each week and told the class about Owen. This is the crown from the first week, his classmates put the stars on for him. The picture he is holding is from a little girl in his class. She went home and kept asking her Mom, 'who is Owen?'. Her Mom took her to our blog and showed her Owen, so she made him a picture and had her Mom write a little note on the back. So sweet!! Each time I think of this picture and note I get teary eyed. The love of this little child and the example of her Mom are great examples to me. Now for the update...I love the holidays and the fact that you are so busy that reality kind of slips away. But now that the presents have been opened, decorations put away and cake and ice cream have been had for Owen it's time to get back to reality! Darn, too bad I can't stay in la la land!
In November of 2010 Owen's bowels started slowing down and he needed more than just juices, so we were introduced to giving medications throughout each and everyday. It was well worth it because he was so much more comfortable with them. Then he stopped tolerating night feeds (which is when you can push more calories). A few months later he needed a different formula that was easier to digest. In another few months he needed yet a different formula. As we stayed on top of things he has stayed happy and comfortable. His smile really makes dealing with things easier. He is still happy, healthy and comfortable besides a few head colds/ear infections now and then. We pray everyday for the comfort to continue.
In November of '10 he weighed just under 40 lbs., he is now 30 lbs. He is not able to tolerate more formula for added calories, we tried again this last weekend and by Sunday night he was not happy, as soon as I pulled most of his food out a look of peace came over his face. He slept much better and woke up looking as though he slept well. We have a few other options to play with in his diet so we hope we find a winner.
I know this update isn't a cheery everything is great update but so many of you ask about Owen and our responses are "good, he's healthy, fine, okay, he's happy" which are all true but the reality is Owen is good but not great. It's hard to be brutally honest in public for fear of having an emotional break down in front of everyone. He is happy but his little body isn't holding up like a healthy body should. He is four and his body is trying to grow but cannot take in the needed calories it takes to grow. We will do our best to keep our little man as happy as we can.
We have been so blessed for him to do as well as he has and we will always be grateful for that and this precious time we have with him. We work with some amazing people that help us with Owen's needs and diet and I know they do all that they can to help him. Now it is up to the Lord, we are banking on His love, comfort and guidance at this time.

6 comments:

brigette said...

How seet that little girl is. I will be praying for Owen as well as for you guys as you make hard decisions and try to figure out whats right for him. You guys are amazing and such strong people! Hugs

Inklings said...

Owen is lucky to have an amazing mother and father, amazing siblings. I am glad you blog so I can keep up on you all. By the way, we teach CTR 4 :0)

klthornock said...

Love you all!

THE MITCHELL CLAN said...

You are such an inspiration to me. I love reading your blog. I pray for your little Owen every night and for your family. I was reading your blog and my kids asked me why I was crying. (Which I do every time I read your blog because you are all so amazing..) I showed them your blog. Savanna (who is 8) told me that she thought Heavenly Father must really love you for giving you such special little boys. She is so right. We will keep Owen and your family always in our prayers.

Amanda said...

I think of you often and wonder how you and Owen are doing. I know that at times you may not feel strong but your strength and faith are such an example. Owen is precious and you are blessed to have him.

Dezaree said...

Everything that you guys have been through is an example of faith and love, and is such a testimate to me. I hope they can figure out what Owen needs. I love the pictures of him smiling. It makes me happy & forget my troubles!!!!